I was putting together a general outline of my Lamaze Childbirth Education Course Topics for our certifying Doulas to turn in with their DONA paperwork and I decided to share the outline with you all.
Have you ever wondered what topics are covered in a comprehensive childbirth education course? This is the list of topics I came up with this morning and I still feel like I’m missing some!
- The normal, natural process of labor and birth, and health-care practices that
- The rights of childbearing woman
- Anatomy and Physiology of Labor
- Changes during late pregnancy and the stages of labor
- The important role that pain plays in labor and a wide variety of coping strategies for managing it
- The importance of labor support (Doula/Partner)
- Partner’s role in labor, breastfeeding and postpartum care
- Movement and positioning during labor and birth
- Medical interventions and their indications, risks and alternatives
- Cesarean awareness and how to plan for a gentle cesarean
- How to communicate with your healthcare provider
- Developing a birth plan
- Newborn Care
- Postpartum expectations and Self Care
- Baby Blues & Postpartum Depression
- Birth Control options and Natural Family Planning (Fertility Awareness)
- Car Seat Safety
- Local resources to support you during and after pregnancy
Keep in mind that there are many sub-topics beneath these topics and the knowledge you’ll gain from a comprehensive childbirth education course is immense. Consider a minimum 12 hour childbirth education course under an educator certified by a reputable agency when you are planning your birth. Want to learn more about education and support options in Southern KY then come to our monthly Meet The Doulas or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Planning on joining a Lamaze 8 week course in 2016? Be sure to make your purchase before Mother’s Day on May 8th to take advantage of our Push Present Promo as seen below.
$140 in Push Presents FREE when you purchase a Lamaze course before May 8th 2016.